Saturday, April 25, 2015

Knowldege and love

“Now concerning food sacrificed to idols: we know that ‘all of us possess knowledge.’ Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. Anyone who claims to know something does not yet have the necessary knowledge; but anyone who loves God is known by him.” 1 Corinthians 8:1-3 (NRSV)

As a young adult, I told my father that he was the smartest man I knew. His response to me was this: “Honey, you evidently do not know very many men.” Later, as I reflected on that conversation, I realized that his response actually reinforced my claim. Dad was a humble man and he did not possess a college degree, but his humility testified that he knew that he was loved by God.

In the scripture passage above, Paul makes a simple statement about knowledge. The greatest knowledge we can possess is know that we are known by God.

Paul says that knowledge “puffs up,” much like inflating a hot air balloon. The balloon is inflated quickly and can carry passengers quite high, but it cannot stay aloft for a long time. After all, it is air that drives the balloon upward, and air is not stable.

Love builds up, like the construction of a tall building. Buildings are solid and take a long time to build. We can ascend to great heights and actually live at the top of a tall building.

God’s love for us is the best knowledge we can possess. Knowledge of His grace should always be our testimony. This is my testimony: I know that God loves me so much that, in spite of my sin, He died for me so that I can dwell with Him forever. This knowledge is greater than any diploma I could possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment